Monday, March 2, 2009

Watchmen: Official Review

If superheros were ever in the real world then they would be like the Watchmen. I was very fortunate enough to score passes to the free preview on Monday night. So here is my official review so you can decide to see it or not.

I will start off by saying that this is truly an R rated film. Do not take anyone under 15 to see this movie. It has lots of sex and violence. Which, of course, I am a fan of. However, this violence is not the typical violence you see in your average Batman or Spiderman film. These heroes give out the type of ass kicking that will make you cringe and yet want more of.

Watchmen is based on a graphic novel that was published by DC comics in 1985. The story depicts alternative 1985 that has superheroes involved in the very fabric of society and history. This world is on the brink of Nuclear annihilation and we find our cast of characters trying to survive.

If you are one of the lucky ones who read the graphic novel then you will enjoy that a great deal of this film was taken straight from the book. They did a great job of maintaining the core story telling aspects that made the book so good. While the book was very believable, the film is much more realistic. Do not get me wrong, there are parts of the story that gets left out, but you will never miss it.

If you didn't not read the book you will be amazed about how real the characters will be to you. The story will start out very fast but you will be able to catch up. When, I read the book, I remember being confused, thus having to read it over again. It will not be this way in viewing the Watchmen. The story is easy to follow and you should not get lost.

The fight scenes are just incredible. Very seamless and well done. In my honest opinion it makes the Dark Knight's fight scenes look sloppy. I was worried about character development, but that was done very well too. I will say this is a long movie. A little over 2 1/2 hours. You should not be able to tell.

Overall, this stands to be (for me) the movie of the year. I think it stands right up there with The Dark Knight (just a little below it).Clearly this is early in the year, but I think it is well worth going to the cinema.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I kept thinking that the guy who played the Comedian was Javier Bardem (I found out later that it's actually Jeffrey Dean Morgan), but the two actors definitely look alike

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails