Thursday, May 7, 2009

Too much Coffee???


Let me talk about the last few days. Tuesday I woke up to the same feeling I always wake up to, the need to go to the bathroom. After taking care of my normal morning routine. I head out to work. Park the car. Go to Starbucks and order a Venti Cinnamon Dulce Latte with no whip cream. After this, I am ready to face my day.

Then a feeling comes over me. I have to use the bathroom again. But the feeling is more of my bladder being full already. So, like a typical man I ignore it. Eventually I go to the men's room and (sorry if this is TMI) not as much comes out as I thought would. Of course, I am like...WTF?

Ok, fine I go back to my desk and then the feeling returns. Now, I am no fool. I starting thinking many things. My first thought is, frequent urination is a sign of prostate cancer. So, I almost freak out and look up WebMD. I come up with some ideas of what I could have. I am leading toward an infection like UTI or possibly a bladder infection. In either case, I know something is wrong.

The good thing is that I do not have any pain. However, the feeling is still uncomfortable. I go through the whole day feeling like this. I tell myself that if I continue to feel this way tomorrow then I have to call the doctor. I am not one of those guys that will ignore something that is going on in my body. Although, I do have the urge to do that. The fear, or maybe not a fear but rather a concern, is that I may get poked and prodded. More specifically poked. I am not ready for a tube up my ass.

I do feel better toward the end of the night. When I lay down, I feel nothing. So, again like a typical man, I am thinking that I am good right? Wrong.

The next day(yesterday) is the same thing. So, now I am thinking I am just done. I have some kind of tumor in my bladder and I wont live to see 40. I need to come up with a bucket list. I take a deep breath and realize I just need to call the doc...but first...Starbucks!!!

I call the doctor's office after I get to work and explain the situation. She sets an appointment right then and there for me. The time is set for 2:30 so I have the rest of the day to think about what is going on in my body. I come up with reasons why I might have this. I think back to Sunday and how I woke up with such a full bladder, because I held it all night. I know that I have this habit, particularly at work, to hold it because I am too busy to go to the men's room.

2:30 comes and I get to the office. I give them a nice sample as they requested. They take my blood pressure and it is high. Wonderful. I never have high blood pressure. I am so gonna make that bucket list when I get home! I think about what I am going to say on Twitter

He comes in and asks me what is going on. My doctor is very good. I totally trust him. He tells me I have no infection what so ever. He is concerned by the color so he interrogates me about my diet and what I consume. Has there been any changes. My eyes widen and I tell him that I have increased the amount of coffee. For those who do not know, I stopped going to Dunkin Donuts because there coffee is watered down. I needed something stronger. Thus I want to Starbucks. Not only did I get better coffee, I actually changed the amount. I used to order a medium, now I am at a large.

The Doc looks at me and says..."I will bet that your issues is linked to your consumption of too much coffee". I was stunned. We then had a discussion on how I am not drinking enough water either. He mentioned to me that I need to cut my consumption by half, meaning a small. I was ready to get rid of coffee entirely, but he told me that would be bad. He explained that I will get headaches due to lack of coffee. Here again, my eyes widen. I do tend to get headaches on days I do not drink coffee...WTF! He further explained that he has seen this before and is pretty sure that if I decrease my coffee intake and drink more water then I will be fine. However, if it does not change in 2 weeks. He will check the prostate.

So there it is. "Check the prostate". It looms over me like the death star. I drank so much water yesterday, you can call me Aquaman.

Today I ordered a small coffee and I do feel better. We will see how this goes...

2 comments:

HotMomma said...

I understand about the coffee thing.

I will keep you in my prayers that the dietary changes work and there is no issue with your prostate.

~D~

Georgia Peach said...

I totally understand...this might be TMI, but I had a recent scare with a lump in my breast so I know all the thoughts that go through your head. Your doc sounds great - that's fantastic and like finding a needle in a haystack. Follow his advice and I think you will be fine, but remember if anything changes go back. Don't wait!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails