Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I'm Coming Home!


I’m coming home
I’m coming home
tell the World I’m coming home
Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday
I know my kingdom awaits and they’ve forgiven my mistakes


It has been 3 years in the making but my (almost) 11 year stint in Syracuse is over. I am taking my talents to Barnard College. I have been intentionally silent on this blog for a reason. I had mentioned at the start of 2012 that I am done with the talking. I just need to do. I am just so very happy that I have been able to accomplish this, but I am also growing in sadness about what I am actually leaving.

First, I want to talk about my journey. Last summer I went hard at a position from another school that interviewed me three times. I was so confident that I was going to get that job that I started packing my bags. Then after weeks of hearing nothing from them, I contacted them only to find out that they had offered the position to someone else. I was devastated. The bravado that I had meant nothing and while many people wanted to say that perhaps they did not want to hire a person of color, I shrugged that off and looked into the mirror knowing that I had to change something.

The first thing I did, I went to my supervisor and told her that I will not only be staying for another year but I will give this year everything I have. I blew up the resume and the cover letter and started from scratch. At this point I knew I was going to give up the job search for at least a year.  So I threw myself into the work and made sure that anything I did landed on my new resume. I also decided to take a class to prove to myself that I had still had the passion to learn while working.

But, in my heart I knew what it really was that I had to do. The one thing that was holding me back was the house. I just felt a connection somewhere that if I get rid of the weight of that house that I can be able to move on. So I set ambitious goals of taking a class, selling the house, and resolving debt all with 2012. I will admit that I didn't feel very confident that I could get this all done. However, I need to have faith that what is meant to happen will happen.

I gave this year my all and when it came time to start looking for jobs, I took full advantage of all my resources. At first, the search seemed like another failure and to be honest, I gave up on the search again in frustration. I was going to start looking at Grad School full time. Then I got a call… Many trips to NYC this summer has resulted in a job offer with Barnard College. An offer that I have accepted this evening.

It has been an amazing ride. I have been here just about 11 years! Think about the fact that I left a month after 9/11. Now I get to return to my home. I am so happy to have accomplished this. One again, it will be and my dog moving.

I will miss the students so much. I have already told many of those I advise about my departure. I cannot promise that I will not be emotional in the upcoming weeks because if you know me, then you know that very few people fight harder than me for these students. Much of it is tough love but I respect them and care for all of them deeply.

It is time for new beginings. I will finish out my time at SU on a high note and will be in Barnard soon…

I am coming home.

   

2 comments:

Michelle05 said...

Congratulations! I knew you had it in you. So proud of all you have accomplished and the well rounded individual you have become. I am so happy for you! This new journey will be as great as the one you are leaving behind. You are always in my heart and prayers! Much love Cuz! <3

WordsUnsaid said...

Proud of you Anthony.. thank you for all that you have done for myself and everyone else in Syracuse. You will be truly missed.. At least you won't have to be throwing me out of your office anymore, or we won't have any more arguments about the Mets. I wish you all the best at Barnard, and just know that I will find you in Banard and bother you in your new office. Best Wishes, Anthony.

- Brandon

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails